1 tblspn Olive Oil
1 tspn garlic flakes (= 1 clove fresh)
3 medium Leeks, thinly sliced
1 kg Potatoes, peeled and diced
4 cups Vegetable Stock
Ground Black Pepper
1/2 cup grated Vegetarian Parmesan Cheese
Croutons* to serve
1. Heat oil in a large pan. Add garlic and chopped leeks and cook until tender, then transfer to a slow-cooker/crock-pot (see below).
2. Add potatoes and vegetable stock to slow-cooker/crock-pot and turn heat to low. Allow to cook for 6 - 8 hours, stirring occasionally.
3. When cooked, blend or process soup until a thick, smooth consistency.
4. Stir through pepper and return to low heat. Cook for a further half hour.
5. Serve hot topped with croutons and a sprinkling of parmesan cheese.
*To make croutons: Slice thick bread (any kind will do) into 1" cubes. Place cubes onto a greased oven-proof tray and spray with olive oil. Sprinkle with garlic salt. Cook in oven at 180*C for 10 - 15 minutes, or until golden brown.
Perfect on a cold and wet Winter's day!
(Slow-cookers/Crock-pots retail in Australia anywhere from AU$40, depending on their size, and make a great addition to the kitchen).