Sunday, November 15, 2009

Quiche & Summer Cooking.

[Quiche]

It is so hot here at the moment! For the past nine days our part of South Australia has been sweltering in a Spring "heatwave", with daytime temperatures refusing to fall below the 40*C (104*F), and today would have to be the hottest yet! I cant even stand outside to hang out my laundry: I'll get burnt!

With all this hot weather, I've not felt like cooking, or even eating much for that matter. The past week or so I've survived on fresh fruit and smoothees. However, yesterday afternoon I had a craving for Quiche (no doubt needed a protein boost!), which is one of my favourite foods to have during the warmer months.

This recipe is a variation of a recipe that came from my mum and it is so quick and easy. The best thing, though, is that once it is in the oven you can walk away and not have to worry about it for 40 minutes. It tastes great, too!

Ingredients:
4 Eggs
1.5 Cups milk
1.5 Cups grated cheese
1 onion, finely chopped
1 tspn dried crushed garlic
Half a zucchini (corgette), finely chopped
1/4 Cup corn kernals
1 tomato: Half diced, half cut into four slices
Spinach, finely chopped
3/4 Cup pastry mix

Beat together eggs and milk, then stir in grated cheese, onion, zucchini, corn, diced tomato, spinach, garlic and pasty mix.
Top with tomato slices (as picture above).
Pour into greased pie dish and cook in oven for 35-40 minutes at 200*C (180*C fan-forced).

Eat warm or cold.


What are some of your favourite foods/recipes to eat during the Summer months? I'd be most interested to know, because during Summer it is so hot here that I dont feel like putting in much effort to make a meal, and I could use some ideas!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog. I really appreciate any suggestions, feedback and comments you may like to share, so please don't be afraid to leave them. It'd be wonderful to see you return again!