This weekend we did some more renovation work in the main (our) bedroom. SJ and his dad finally found the time to put in the new cornice and do some final patching.
Being an old building (built 1890s at some point, from what we can work out from the records), the ceilings in the front rooms of the house are the highest, reaching between 8 and 9 feet high. The cornice throughout the original part of the house is 30mm wide and is simply wrong for a ceiling of this height. So, after much deliberation, we have decided to replace it with 90mm cornice, which suits the original wood-slat roof much better.
It's taken a few months, but the work in the main bedroom is almost complete. The walls have been patched and re-plastered, and now that the cornice is up all that remains to be done is to give the woodwork a light sanding (ceiling, skirtings and architraves), give the entire room a coat of undercoat/prep-coat, and then paint it in its new colours. Hopefully this will be achieved over the next three weeks (that's the plan, at least). Then once the carpet is back down, we'll be able to move the furniture (and ourselves) back in!
Now just need to decide on those paint colours...