Monday, September 19, 2011

Monday Mail Out: Life's simple pleasures.

A selection of letters sent with today's post.


"The one good thing about not seeing you is that I can write you letters". ~Svetlana Alliluyeva 



Sunday has always been the day I allocate one or two hours in the afternoon to catching up on mail, each and every week. I've been writing letters for almost as long as I can remember, and yet I still get excited when first thing on a Monday morning I head to the post office with my pile of correspondence and pop it in the post.

Then as the day draws to a close the anticipation grows of letters waiting for me when I return home. When we lived in the city, Monday and Tuesday were the best mail days, so I always expected to have at least one letter waiting for me on both days, and if there wasn't I would think something had gone terribly wrong! Now that we're living rural, I've noticed the best mail days are Monday and Friday instead; I wonder why that is?

But whatever the day, for me one of life's most simple pleasures is to receive a letter in the post from a friend. I hope the friends I write with feel the same way when they receive a letter from me.



Since written correspondence has been a hobby of mine for such a long time, Monday Mail Out will be a weekly feature whereby I can share my love for the lost art of letter writing. I hope my experiences will encourage others to send out letters on Monday too, and have them rediscover the joy of sending and receiving mail. If you have a blog, feel free to join in.

1 comment:

Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog. I really appreciate any suggestions, feedback and comments you may like to share, so please don't be afraid to leave them. It'd be wonderful to see you return again!