Thursday, June 21, 2012

Hibernation.


[Winter Solstice Sunrise 21.6.12]


It's mid-winter and I keep losing track of the time.

It's the same every year: I wake before sunrise and get home in the evenings after the sun has set, which makes the days blur into a never-ending twilight.

It makes me sleepy. I keep forgetting to do things, like updating my blog, because I'm not entirely sure what day it is. The cold is persistent and I am in hibernation mode. This means I don't really do a lot, aside from stubbornly sit in front of the fire with books, and drink an endless amount of steaming hot tea. There's also a fair bit of baking going on because food is comfort, especially when it's cold.

But you know what? Today is the Winter Solstice in the Southern Hemisphere and it arrived in spectacular fashion, all pretty in pink. Last night the wind howled relentlessly, but with the first light of day it died away and there was the gentle pitter-patter of rain. The days will now grow longer with each sunrise and sunset, so perhaps I'll not be in hibernation for very much longer.

3 comments:

  1. A lovely post Sarah :)

    Bring on Spring I say! The rain is nice though, just what my little seedlings need...

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hasnt stopped raining down here in Adelaide since about 5.00 yesterday evening........

    ReplyDelete
  3. Frankly, although the lack on sunlight would depress me terribly, tea, blankets, fire, books and baked goodies seem like a reasonable recompense!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog. I really appreciate any suggestions, feedback and comments you may like to share, so please don't be afraid to leave them. It'd be wonderful to see you return again!