Monday, April 13, 2009

The Perfect Brunch...

[Poached eggs on toast in a tomato & basil sauce]

Yesterday, SJ and I were late getting out of bed. The night before we did not get to sleep until around 2am, so needless to say it was no earlier than 9.30am by the time we dragged our very sleepy butts out of bed.

It was too late for the usual breakfast of porridge and fruit, and I was hungrier than normal having slept in so late. Instead I made the perfect brunch: Poached eggs on toast, covered in a tomato and basil sauce.

Here is how you make it:
1. In 1 tspn oil fry 1 clove of garlic, crushed or finely chopped.
2. Add 400g of peeled whole tomatoes, crushed or diced. Bring to boil.
3. Reduce heat to a simmer and add either 2 tblspn of fresh basil, or 1 tspn of dried basil. Continue to simmer whilst eggs are poached to preferred consistency (I think it's best if the yoke is still runny right in the centre), and bread is toasted (I recommend homemade wholemeal or sour-dough, cut in thick slices so the sauce doesnt soak through too quickly, although on the weekend I had to be content with skinny bits of bought bread as all my homemade had been eagerly consumed the night before).
4. Place poached eggs on toast, cover with sauce and enjoy!

This recipe serves 1 to 2 people.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog. I really appreciate any suggestions, feedback and comments you may like to share, so please don't be afraid to leave them. It'd be wonderful to see you return again!