Friday, October 26, 2012

An Ode to the Humble Carnation...

 
 
The carnations in the garden are all coming into bloom. In the evenings, especially when it's still warm, their scent carries right to the back door.
 
Carnations make me think of my Nanna (maternal grandmother). I have childhood memories of carnations in her garden on the farm - just the sight or the smell of them and I am 6 years old again. I used to love to pick them and hold them to my nose whilst my Nanna painstakingly watered the garden by hand.
 
When we'd come inside the carnations I'd picked would end up in a small glass of water on the dining room table.
 
Last spring I purchased a punnet of 8 plants and much to my delight, every single one has survived, a mixture of deep red, pink and white blooms. This spring I've been transplanting them, moving them around the garden to locations where they can be more easily seen and enjoyed. They aren't the most attractive plants, but they are tough. This makes them perfectly suited to our arid and unpredictable climate.
 
The flowers are pretty, though, and have a sweet scent that lingers but is gentle, not overpowering. When picked they make great decoration as they are slow to wilt, usually lasting around a week in a vase. They remain one of my all-time favourite flowers for their appearance, their endurance, their scent and the memories they conjure.
 
And it would appear that I'm not the only one who loves these simple, humble flowers.
 
What is your favourite flower currently in bloom?

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad to hear someone else loves Carnations as much as I do. When I was a child in the 50's and 60's Carnations were grown in just about every garden. When my first husband and I were married my bridal bouquet was white Carnations and my attendants carried artificially coloured Carnations to match their dresses. Sadly every attempt to grow Carnations has always ended in failure for me.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog. I really appreciate any suggestions, feedback and comments you may like to share, so please don't be afraid to leave them. It'd be wonderful to see you return again!