Saturday, January 5, 2013

Heatwave Survival: Days 2 - 6

[Day 5: Yesterday's temperature peaked at 45*C - in the shade.]

[Day 3: Geranium with its leaves starting to curl in on themselves. It has since dropped its blooms and is starting to shed its leaves to conserve energy. I wish I had leaves to shed!]
 
 
I've lived my entire life in South Australia, the driest state on the driest continent on earth. I've experienced a few hot summers in my (almost) 32 years and some absolutely scorching days. I remember in 2011 the temperature reaching 47*C the day before Australia Day (25 Jan) and I had to walk the mail to the post office for work. Stepping outside from an air conditioned office was like climbing into an oven: The air was so hot it burnt the insides of my nose and when I breathed in it would catch in my throat and set my eyes to water. The glare off the pavement was blinding and I got sunburnt on the 150m or so journey to the post office and back.
 
I can also recall the entire family spending a summer camped out in the kitchen, mattresses and sheets moved from the bedrooms and sprawled across the floor when I was about 12 years old. It would have been one of our first Spencer Gulf Summers. I remember the house in permanent darkness, all the blinds and curtains pulled closed in an attempt to keep the heat outside from seeping through the windows.
 
However, the most ridiculous of summer days that I have had the unfortunate luck to experience would have been when I was no more than 9 years old: We were on my grandparents farm that day and the temperature peaked at a whopping 52*C - in the shade. I remember a congregation of wild birds under the back verandah, their little mouths set apart as they searched out water and tried to stay cool. There are certain things the brain never forgets, like the brightness of the sun or the heat on your skin. I've no idea how we managed to stay cool that day.
 
Today is day six of a relentless, seemingly neverending heatwave. Yesterday saw temperatures soar right across the southern parts of the country and whilst many of those regions have since been blessed with a cool change, it is not strong enough to penetrate inland and so here in the Ranges the temperature is already hovering around the 40*C mark. We've not seen a day below 39 degrees in the last six.
 
The BoM is predicting that the awful heat will continue and is looking to break some long-standing records. So for yet another week (at least!) we will continue to be shut indoors with the blinds drawn and the air conditioning permanently running. There's an abundance of ice tea and fresh water in the fridge along with all the heatwave necessities for sustenance: Custard, jelly, stewed fruit, fresh salads and hard boiled eggs.
 
How's the weather at your place?

8 comments:

  1. Hmm what fun :P

    Maybe I could do some letter writing too, and buff my skills up a bit...tis going to be a loooong week! Might do some family history, or crafts, or work on the budget, or menu plan. The possibilities are endless lol!

    I have some Apricot jam here for you, if you want to collect next time you are down in town :)

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hot.........its hot........but , with the blow up pool, the kids are as happy as, well , kids in a blow up pool..and I bless my air con every minute it is on...but thats life here, and it does nothing to complain about it...we just roll with it...and sit in the blow up pool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blow up pool? A worthwhile investment, I think!
      ~S.

      Delete
  3. I'm in Belgium, and here we broke a rain record in december. It has been raining almost non stop since then, though it should be getting slightly better. It's also way to warm for the time of the year. I do whish I could send some of this rain over to you, but I myself am.still hoping for a few weeks of decent Winter weather with serious frost and snow ...

    Greetings,
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every summer I realise that I much prefer the winter, even though it is so cold. Of course, we don't get snow like you do in Belgium but we do get a lot of frost!
      Stay warm?
      ~S.

      Delete
  4. Hi Sarah,
    The heat is amazing. You know it's hot when the geraniums are feeling it. Your Mum sent me a link to your blog (I like writing letters too)and I'm glad to be here, reading a bit.
    Take care
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember heat waves when I was a child 50 years ago in Seacombe Gardens South Australia when no-one could afford even a fan. My Mum and my sister and me along with the dog would lie on the cold cement floor in the laundry listening to the serials on the radio. Nowadays I would be a large grease spot were it not for the air conditioner in the house and in the car.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How did we ever survive without air conditioning? Or has the modern world simply made us soft? I remember the stinking hot days as a kid but back then it was a novelty - now it's just a major inconvenience!
      ~S.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog. I really appreciate any suggestions, feedback and comments you may like to share, so please don't be afraid to leave them. It'd be wonderful to see you return again!