Thursday, March 7, 2013

Eggplant Parmesan

 
I made Eggplant (aubergine) Parmesan for dinner last night. Shane was adamant he wasn't going to like it but then when back for seconds. I was eating the toasted eggplant fresh out of the oven, before it even had a chance to reach the casserole dish. It really is delicious, so I thought I'd share the recipe so everyone can enjoy it.
 
It's based on a Quick, Light & Delicious recipe, which I've modified to suit my own tastes.
 
Ingredients:
3 eggs whites, lightly whisked
1/4 cup water
1 large eggplant (or 2 small) cut into 5mm slices
1/3 cup of plain flour
1 1/2 cups dried breadcrumbs
440g can diced tomatoes
2 cups grated mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese (extra sharp)
Dried garlic flakes
Salt and pepper
 
1. Preheat oven to 200*C and line two baking trays with baking paper.
2. In a small bowl lightly whisk egg whites and stir in water.
3. Add grind of salt and pepper to flour, and garlic flakes (as little or as much as you like) to breadcrumbs. Dip eggplant in flour, then egg whites followed by breadcrumbs.
4. Place eggplant in a single layer on baking trays and bake in oven, turning once, until golden and tender (approximately 30 minutes).
5. Spread 1/3 of the tomatoes over the base of a medium casserole dish. Cover with a layer of the eggplant, 1/3 of the mozzarella cheese. Repeat layering with remaining ingredients, finishing with tomatoes, mozarella and parmesan on top.
6. Bake in oven until cheese melts and ingredients are heated through (approximately 15 minutes).
 
Enjoy!
 

3 comments:

  1. I didn't like eggplant growing up but done well they are quite delicious and so nutritious. I've not had eggplant like this before though, I'll have to give it a try. Do you think it would still be nice with less cheese?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The original recipe actually uses less cheese and more tomatoes, but as I can't eat a lot of cooked tomatoes I cut back on those and increased the cheese content instead. :) Use as much (or as little) cheese as you want as I don't think it will matter too much since it is the toasted eggplant that really makes this dish so delish.
      ~S.

      Delete
  2. I love eggplant! This is very close to a recipe I found years and years ago with the exception the eggplant wasn't baked first. I can see how that would send it over the top!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog. I really appreciate any suggestions, feedback and comments you may like to share, so please don't be afraid to leave them. It'd be wonderful to see you return again!