Tuesday, July 13, 2010

In Pictures: Beautiful Burra

[Market Square Museum + lollyshop]

[Uniting Church]

[Old Monster Copper Mine]

[Open-cut mine + Windfarm on horizon]

[Redruth Gaol]

[Settlement of Hampton]

[Unicorn Brewery Cellars]

[Burra Cemetery]

I would have shared these pictures last week had I been able to: A blogger glitch has prevented me from updating, moderating comments and visiting other blogs. Did anyone else suffer the same? Today it appears to be sorted, but if you leave a comment and it doesn't appear within 24 hours then the liklihood is that the problem has re-surfaced.

Anyhow, I just have to share these photos with you: On the 3rd and 4th July, SJ and I took time out for a tiny getaway in the heritage town of Burra in the Clare Valley. What a beautiful, interesting and pleasing town! I recommend it for anyone who is thinking of taking a holiday in South Australia. The town has so much history and stunning scenery that it makes for plenty to see and do. It is also close to other magnificent regions, such as the Riverland and the Barossa Valley, which SJ and I visited quickly before returning home. It is so much fun being a tourist, even if it is just for a weekend. I easily took nearly 200 photos over three days.

During the latter part of the 19th century, Burra was a copper mining town, but the mines closed when the price of copper dropped. Now there is "talk" of mining copper in Burra once again. I really hope this doesn't eventuate, as Burra is a fantastic holiday destination with a thriving tourism industry. Right now it is a wonderful place to escape to, but if the mining begins again, who will want to visit it as just another mining town?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog. I really appreciate any suggestions, feedback and comments you may like to share, so please don't be afraid to leave them. It'd be wonderful to see you return again!