Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Perfect Pumpkin Soup!


I should probably point out that most of my winter cooking consists of soups and desserts, so over the next two months or so you may find that most of the recipes I put here will be of either soup or some type of comfort-food, because it's what I like to eat when it's freezing cold out.

Autumn here is full of orange stuff: Orange sunsets, orange moon, orange fruits, orange leaves, and orange vegetables!

One of my favourite orange things is pumpkin, and my ma over at Out Back was kind enough to provide me with one of her very own, home-grown butternut pumpkins, so I decided to put it to good use and make some pumpkin soup.

Over the past few years, since discovering that I actually like pumpkin, I have been trying to find a really good pumpkin soup recipe. I hate it when what is supposed to be pumpkin soup comes out tasting like something else, such as onion, curry or potato (the worst offenders!).

However, I searched online for pumpkin soup recipes last week, and from them took some ideas for my own pumpkin soup recipe. Here is what I came up with:

Ingredients
1 onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1/4 tspn ground coriander
1 tspn ground cumin seeds
1/2 tspn ground nutmeg
1kg peeled pumpkin, diced (I used butternut)
2 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
1L vegetable stock
Cream or sour cream to top

I cook all my soups in a slow-cooker. In the crock-pot I put the pumpkin and potato. In a small saucepan I sautee the onion until brown and then add garlic, coriander, cumin and nutmeg and continue stirring over low heat for another minute or two. Then I put all that into the crock-pot as well, before adding the vegetable stock. I then let it cook on low for around six hours, or until the pumpkin and potato are soft.

I then blend the mixture using a hand-held blender, and it's ready to eat! I serve it with either a dollop of cream or sour cream on top, and toasted turkish bread on the side.

1 comment:

Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog. I really appreciate any suggestions, feedback and comments you may like to share, so please don't be afraid to leave them. It'd be wonderful to see you return again!