Monday, April 9, 2012

Monday Mail Out: An envelope tutorial...


You will need:
Paper
Scissors
Ruler
Pencil
Double-sided crafting tape (or a good glue)
An old envelope of the desired size



Step 1: Choose your paper. I'm using leftover gift wrap, but you can use pretty much anything, from scrapbooking paper to pages from a magazine, as long as it is thick and sturdy enough to transport through the post.

Step 2: Take the old envelope and gently pry it apart so its shape can be used as a template, and trace it onto the underside of your paper.





Step 3: Cut along the outline for the envelope with a sharp pair of scissors, keeping to the lines to ensure the finished envelope remains squared. Any diverson will skew your shape.



Step 4: Fold the envelope in the same manner as your template was folded, and using double-sided craft tape (or glue) seal the bottom to the sides along the same points.



Step 5: Write a letter or make a card to send in your one-of-a-kind handmade envelope, address it and add the postage, then pop it in the post.



So simple yet oh-so-pretty ~
There should be no reason to send dull and drab mail ever again!



Written correspondence has been a hobby of mine for a long time, & Monday Mail Out is a weekly feature whereby I can share my love for the lost art of letter writing. I hope my experiences will encourage others to send out letters on Monday too, and have them rediscover the joy of sending and receiving mail. If you have a blog, feel free to join in.

5 comments:

  1. I like this post! After I use up the 900 or so plain white envelopes I have left over from our wedding correspondence, I will have to give it a go! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So pretty! I have so much paper, I should do this! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. 900? Wow, you've got some letters to write! ;)
    ~S.

    ReplyDelete
  4. g'day
    wow an awesome idea for all that gift paper thats left over from xmas etc

    thanx

    selina from kilkivan qld

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do this with last years calenders..makes up some lovely envelopes. Julia :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog. I really appreciate any suggestions, feedback and comments you may like to share, so please don't be afraid to leave them. It'd be wonderful to see you return again!